Tea Steeped with Mulled Wine Spices
Enjoy a great non-alcoholic warming winter drink in this Mulled Wine style tea.
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 4 cups boiling water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 8 cardamom pods
- 2 tsp whole cloves
- 2 star anise
- Rind from 1/2 orange*
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 4 tsp black leaf tea or caffeine free red rooibos
- Sweetener of choice – brown sugar, honey or maple syrup.
- Bring water to the boil.
- Crush the cardamom, twist the bay leaf and snap the cinnamon in two. Add the spices, herbs and orange rind to a pan. Pour water over and leave over a low heat to simmer for 10 minutes.
- If using Black Tea - Add the black loose leaf tea and leave to infuse for another 3-5 minutes, depending on how strong you like it. Be careful not to oversteep the tea to avoid any bitterness or
- If using Red Rooibos - Add the rooibos leaf and leave to infuse for up to 10 minutes. No bitterness will develop with this leaf so it does not matter if it infuses longer.
- Strain the tea.
- Add some sweetener if you wish suited to taste. This helps marry all the flavours together and we find this enchanced the overall flavour.
** Notes from Us:
- Orange rind – make sure you exclude any pith (white bits)
- We use Stir English Breakfast or Assam as the black tea leaf
- Use Red Rooibos tisane for a caffeine free version
- We top the completed liquor back up to 4 cups with boiling water once strained
- We squeezed the juice from the whole orange and added this to the finished brew
Recipe inspiration from: https://nutritionistmeetschef.com/mulled-wine-tea/. Visit this site for really nutritious and delicious recipes.