A stunning combination of texture and flavour - this is a perfect slice to accompany a cup of tea or bake for a gift.
1.5 cups dates, chopped
1 cup dried figs, cut into quarters
100 grams dried apricots, roughly chopped
Juice and rind of 2 tangelos
1 cup water
1.50 tablespoons of brown sugar
250 grams butter
2 cups brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1.5 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups rolled oats
1.5 cups almonds - roasted at 170 degrees Celsius for approx. 10 minutes then halved
Heat Oven to 180 degree celsius
Line a slice tin
- Put dried fruit, tangelo juice and rind, water in a pot and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and add first measure of sugar. Leave to cool.
- Beat butter and sugar until pale. Add eggs one at a time then vanilla.
- Sift in remaining ingredients, rolled oats and hazelnuts. Mix gently until combined.
- Spread 2/3 of mix into your lined slice tin. Top with date mixture, then dot the remaining mixture on top.
- Bake 40 minutes until golden and cake bounces back on touch test.
- Let cool before slicing. This slice freezes well.
We hope you get a lot of joy from making and sharing this Fig & Date Slice over a cup of Stir Tea. Wishing you Happy Tea Times from everyone at Stir.