A big thanks from the Stir Tea Team to Claire Turnbull (www.claireturnbull.co.nz) for allowing us to reproduce her great recipe. These oaty energy balls are delicious and healthy and go perfectly with a cup of tea.
These have been such a great hit with my family and friends and I’ve been asked many times by you to divulge the secret so you can now make your own. These are a delicious healthy snack for entertaining, school lunches or a yummy morning/afternoon snack.
2 cups oats
½ cup wholemeal flour
¼ cup desiccated coconut
¼ cup sultanas
¼ cup dried cranberries
¼ cup pumpkin seeds
¼ cup sunflower seeds
2 tbsp linseeds or sesame seeds
¼ cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup oil
1/3 cup honey
½ cup smooth peanut butter
1 large egg
- Pre heat oven to 180 degrees and line a square baking tray (9x9inches) with grease proof paper and run lightly with oil
- In a bowl place all the dry ingredients and mix together
- Place oil, honey and peanut butter into a sauce pan – over a low heat melt together
- Pour the liquid into the dry ingredients and stir well
- Add beaten egg to the mixture and stir together
- Transfer the mixture into a greased baking tray and firmly push down into the tray with a spatula
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown
- Allow to cool for a few minutes in the tin and then cut into small squares
- Leave to cool completely and then remove from the tin
- Store in an air tight container
Swap the walnuts for hazelnuts, cashews, peanuts or any nuts you like!
You can make these into little balls too! Take spoonfuls of the mixture and roll into balls – bake for around 8 minutes or until golden brown. Makes about 32.
KJ = 449
Carbs = 9g
Protein = 3g
Fat = 6g
Fibre = 1g
We hope you get a lot of joy from making and sharing these Oaty Energy Balls with your favourite cup of Stir Tea. Wishing you Happy Tea Times from everyone at Stir.